A BBL Is Neither Brazilian Or A Butt Lift
The BBL is done with fat transfer to create more shape and add projection. It is the best of both worlds, taking unwanted fat from one part of your body and transferring it to reshape the buttocks.
I don't think anyone knows the actual answer to how this procedure was named the Brazilian Butt Lift, but (no pun intended) there is speculation.
In the U.S., in 2010, breast augmentation became the most sought-after cosmetic surgery. In 2015, the BBL surged in popularity, and along with that, the need for properly trained surgeons. The shapely, rounded buttocks women craved were synonymous with Brazil's women. Still, others credit Dr. Ivo Pitanguy, a Brazilian plastic surgeon who was the first to talk about this procedure back in the 1960s.
The Brazilian Butt Lift Is Not A Lift
The buttock lift is a separate procedure. It is also called the gluteal lift and is often done simultaneously with a BBL. This lifting procedure is appropriate for patients who have lost buttock volume and tone, combined with excessive loose skin, for a variety of reasons:
- Large weight fluctuations
Each of these factors and more can play a part in sagging in the buttock area.
When you have buttock lift surgery, your surgeon typically makes a rounded incision along the upper buttocks, allowing them to:
- Remove excess skin and fat
- Lift the entire buttocks area
- Create tight, smoother, younger contours
Most people undergoing a gluteal life want additional volume. The BBL may combine fat transfer to create more projection and an enhanced shape.
Am I A Good Candidate For A BBL?
Some patients are better candidates for this procedure than others. It's essential to have sensible expectations about the process of surgery, recovery, and the results you can expect.
Typically you are a good candidate for a Brazilian butt lift procedure if you fit the following criteria:
- You are in overall good health
- Your weight is stable
- You have sufficient fat deposits to harvest for transplant into the buttocks
- You want to improve the proportions of your lower body
- You are looking for more natural augmentation than implants
- Your skin tone is good and can accommodate a larger profile
- You are willing to deal with restrictions around how much time you can spend sitting on your buttocks for several weeks
Remember, a BBL is not a true lifting procedure in the way we are discussing. It does not address excess or sagging skin around and on the buttocks. If you have an issue with excess, sagging skin around your buttocks or thighs, fat removal and injection are not likely to produce the result you envision. You may need to consider a buttock or thigh lift. If your surgeon recommends one or both of these procedures to give you the result you want, it's essential to consider the impact of not doing lifiting surgery on your final outcome.
Is A BBL Safe?
Keep in mind that all surgical procedures have risks. The Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL) has historically had a higher risk than other procedures. In the past several years, the risk profile has improved greatly as surgeons use methods to ensure patients do not suffer the complications that early BBL surgeries had.
The number #1 fear for most BBL patients and doctors is fat embolisms due to the injection of fat too deeply. To mediate this risk of injecting fat into the gluteal muscle, surgeons must:
- Place the fat between the muscle and skin layers, avoiding the muscle altogether
- Be careful not to angle the cannula down toward the muscle layer
- Gauge the proper amount of fat that the patients' buttocks area can support without placing too much pressure on the muscle layer
That means the surgeon must be experienced at doing BBLs and have sufficient time in surgery to place fat and shape the buttocks. BBL "mills," where the surgeon is rushing to get to the next procedure or to do several in one day, should be avoided at all costs, including discounted costs.
Unfortunately, people seeking cheaper procedures outside and inside the US is more and more common for Brazilian butt lifts. Too many patients are seeing disastrous outcomes and face a second surgery.
The Critical Role of Fat Preservation
The second frequent safety consideration is ensuring that the fat injected is healthy and likely to develop a new blood supply. BBL procedures done with damaged fat, whether by harsh liposuction methods or improper handling of fat once it is outside the body, are the main causes of necrosis. Fat that is exposed to air, improperly treated, or outside the body for too long can turn necrotic. Necrotic fat cannot recover - it is dead tissue. Either the body sloughs off the dead fat via the lymph system, or worse must be surgically removed to prevent health issues leaving the buttock area deformed.
A BBL done with proper liposuction, the right air-tight system, and injected in a timely manner preserves the most healthy fat. Not all fat will remain after the transfer, but the percentage of fat that adapts and sets up a new blood supply can be as high as 85-90% if the conditions are correct.
One of the reasons Dr. Ahmed uses VASER liposuction for his fat transfer procedures is that it is by far the best technology for extracting the most healthy fat without the damage that methods like laser and traditional lipo do to fat cells.
How Long Does A BBL Last?
You can be sure that not all fat will "take" and establish their own new blood supply, but you want the best result possible. The good news is the fat cells that remain are essentially permanent. You want to do everything you can to ensure you are happy with your results!
The amount of fat that survives after your BBL procedure depends on a number of factors:
- Your skin's elasticity and tightness
- The volume transferred
- The recovery process
- Your surgeon's harvesting, purification, and transfer protocols
You can see how vital the choice of surgeon is and how important it is to understand their methodology and the technology they use during liposuction and harvesting of the fat.
FAQ about BBL
What is a BBL (Brazilian Butt Lift)?
- A Brazilian Butt Lift is a cosmetic surgery procedure that involves liposuction to remove excess fat from one area of your body and then injecting that fat into your buttocks to achieve a fuller and more contoured look.
How much does butt augmentation cost in Las Vegas?
- The cost of butt augmentation or BBL surgery in Las Vegas can vary depending on the surgeon's expertise, location, and the extent of the procedure. It's best to schedule consultations with potential surgeons to get accurate pricing.
What is the recovery time after a BBL surgery in Las Vegas?
- Recovery time can vary, but typically, patients need to avoid sitting or lying on their backs for a few weeks and follow post-operative care instructions provided by their surgeon. Full recovery may take several months.
Are buttock injections a safe option in Las Vegas?
- Butt injections, especially those not performed by board-certified plastic surgeons, can be dangerous and carry significant risks. It's crucial to choose a reputable surgeon for any buttock augmentation procedure.
What is HD BBL, and how is it different from a regular BBL?
- HD BBL, or High Definition Brazilian Butt Lift, is a technique that focuses on sculpting the buttocks to create a more defined and toned appearance. It often involves more precise fat grafting and liposuction to achieve a sculpted look.
Can I combine a BBL with other cosmetic procedures in Las Vegas?
- Yes, many patients choose to combine a BBL with other procedures like tummy tucks or breast augmentation. Discuss your goals with your surgeon to determine the best approach.
How long do the results of a BBL in Las Vegas last?
- The longevity of BBL results can vary from person to person. Maintaining a stable weight and following a healthy lifestyle can help prolong the results.
What is the ideal candidate for a BBL in Las Vegas?
- Ideal candidates for a BBL should be in good overall health, have enough fat for the procedure, and have realistic expectations. Consult with a surgeon to determine if you are a suitable candidate.
How can I choose the right surgeon for a BBL in Las Vegas? - Research and consult with multiple board-certified plastic surgeons who specialize in BBL procedures. Check their qualifications, reviews, and before-and-after photos to make an informed decision.
Schedule Your Complimentary Consultation
Meet Your Surgeon Mustafa Ahmed, MD
Mustafa Ahmed, MD, is a triple board-certified cosmetic surgeon passionate about high-definition liposuction and related procedures. Dr. Ahmed is honored to help improve the lives of the men and women of Southern Nevada who see him for their cosmetic surgery needs.
You have options for medical aesthetics and cosmetic surgery, and having that choice is beautiful. Today’s liposuction technology has evolved. Results are possible today with a thoroughly trained and highly skilled doctor like Dr. Ahmed that simply was not available just a few years ago.
Education has always played a central role in Dr. Ahmed’s life. He earned his medical degree from Ohio State University College of Medicine in Columbus. Dr. Ahmed went on to refine his skills and knowledge through a residency in internal medicine at Mount Carmel Medical Center in Columbus with a residency in general surgery at Morehouse School of Medicine in Atlanta.